Monday 11 April 2016

Review: Morning Star by Pierce Brown


Name: Morning Star
Author: Pierce Brown
Pages: 518
Format: Hardback
Publisher: Del Ray (US)
ISBN: 978-1-444-75905-1
Rating: 5/5 (In truth there isn't a number high enough)

I am decidedly concerned that I will never read a book that is as amazing, well crafted and heartbreaking as Morning Star. I could've read this in one sitting only moving for food but I wanted to savour it. Take a long time to fully process what was happening. I admit I had to put it down every now and again and emotionally recover. Seriously. Every time I turned a page I felt like I was holding my breath, seeing what torture Pierce could put his characters through next. My goodman I worry about your sanity.

Sevro. I feel like in every review I have to dedicate a part to Sevro. I will never be able to coherently express my love for him. However, he did piss me off at the beginning of the novel but I get it. He's allowed to be pissed. His story arc was absolutely amazing. I loved everything about it. In fact I loved all the journeys the characters went on. So much epicness.

I will forever commend Pierce on how he weaves facts into his book. Towards the end of the novel we briefly meet a character called Lucius au Sejanus who introduces himself as the head of the Praetorians. I had a geek out moment at 1 am being the Classical Civilisation nerd I am. At one point in Roman history a chap named Sejanus became Prefect of the Praetorian guard and pretty much caused chaos. He tried to marry into Tiberius' family to gain power. Little fact for ya there.

I have to say this is the best conclusion to a series I have ever read and is also one of the best series as a whole. Just go read the bloodydamn thing.

Katie x







No comments:

Post a Comment

What have you been reading lately?