Tuesday 5 May 2015

Review: Rivers of London - Ben Aaronovitch

Title: Rivers of London
Author: Ben Aaronovitch
Pages: 390
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Gollancz
ISBN: 978-0-575-09758-2
Rating:4/5

**Synopsis taken from the back of the book**

"Meet DC Peter Grant. He will show you his city. But it's not the capital that you all see as you make your way from tube to bus, from Elephant to Castle. It's a city that under its dark surface is pack full of crime. And of magic. A city that you never suspected... "

I usually can't get into crime novels. I've tried many times and to no avail, however, Rivers of London has finally broke that record. I think it's because of the fantasy element in this really. I love how regular police work and cases have been interwoven with a world of ghosts, wizards and vampires. The idea of a copy-cat killer that is actually a ghost is a great idea!

Aaronovitch's characterisation is phenomenal. It wasn't over the top in an attempt to create a unique character. They were believable and likeable. I love Thomas Nightingale, he can cope with burly police officers without breaking a sweat but attempt to explain the ins and outs of a computer and you may as well be talking latin - actually he'd cope better with that considering he is able to speak not only Latin but also Arabic, a variant of German and I'm sure he can speak Greek too!

I'm excited to get my hands on the next books in the series. I want to see where Lesley and Peter's relationship/friendship situation goes.

One thing that I wasn't overly sold on was how the situation was resolved. The story progressed from an action packed scene to the resolution which I felt was rather anti-climactic. I shan't give anything away 'cause spoilers but if you feel/felt the same way when reading this let me know!

But for the ending this definitely would've been a five star book!

PC Peter Grant Series:


  • Rivers of London 
  • Moon Over Soho 
  • Whispers Under Ground 
  • Broken Homes 
  • Foxglove Summer 
  • The Hanging Tree (Not yet published) 


No comments:

Post a Comment

What have you been reading lately?