Wednesday 16 September 2015

Review: Lexicon by Max Barry



Name: Lexicon
Author: Max Barry
Pages: 387
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Mulholland Books
ISBN: 978-1-444-76468-0
Rating: 4.5/5

In this novel words are very powerful in the hands of people called "poets." Words are tools that these people use to gain a chemical reaction which is then used to create some form of meaning. There are certain words that can create a reaction that causes a person to be susceptible to suggestion. Though, people have different words that do this based on what "segment" or personality they are sorted into.

I loved the concept of this novel and found it very well executed. The idea of these words being able to control people was made very believable to the point where I was a little concerned. The organisation created that trained people in this art of manipulation was a great idea. Reminded me of Xavier's school in X-Men.

The characters for the most part were great. I loved Emily and thought that her poet name was wonderful. I did fangirl a bit about that. Wil was initially infuriating but halfway through the noel I put two and two together and realised what was going on which made him a little less irritating thought I shan't mention that because of spoilers. Eliot was probably my favourite character, he was amusing and sarcastic with a soft side that he never let anyone see.

The different formats of reports and blog posts were occasionally confusing and I didn't feel like they added a great deal to the novel as a whole. Some parts were also very confusing making it difficult to read.

Overall, I liked it but I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for a light hearted easy read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What have you been reading lately?