Monday 13 June 2016

Review: Passenger by Alexandra Bracken


Name: Passenger
Author: Alexandra Bracken
Pages: 486
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Quercus
ISBN: 978-1-78654-000-3
Rating: 4.5/5

Etta has been waiting for her violin debut for years and its finally just around the corner. However, in her warmup concert she's dragged into the world of time travellers, pirates and family feuds. Not exactly what she wanted to happen.

Read it. Quite simply read it.

I can't remember reading a book about time travel but I want to read all of them now! This has definitely whet my appetite for more time travel. I love the periods picked out to feature in the novel too, they're so cool! The way time travel worked in this book was really well explained too. It wasn't far fetched in the sense that it wasn't foolproof and there were always issues when travelling from one time to another. For example wearing clothes from that time.

I liked Etta as a character but she sometimes irritated me. I can't place my finger on why yet but something in the back of my mind keeps telling me theres an issue. I appreciated how driven she was whether it was about playing the violin or saving those she cares about. She's definitely wiling to do whats necessary. Her interactions with the other characters were some of my favourite scenes. Particularly when she came to the defence of Nick.

** "Oh my God, you are despicable!" Etta snarled.

"Careful, madam, blasphemy is still a sin -"

Even if Nicholas had been the gambling sort, he never would have wagered a single coin on her next words being "Then I guess I'll see you in hell!"**

Imagine me sat in a very quite room on holiday surrounded by pensioners quietly reading, then upon reading that bursting out in a cackle that would put Bellatrix Lestrange to shame. Yes. That happened.

One thing I really enjoyed about this book was how quickly you were thrown into the action. With a lot of first novels in a series they take time to get into the crux of the story because there's so much information to tell the reader. This backstory was weaved throughout the novel which worked a lot better. No massive info dump.

Basically I'm horrified that I need to wait until until January 2017 to get the next book. I need it now.

Have you read this?

Katie x

No comments:

Post a Comment

What have you been reading lately?