Friday 17 April 2015

Review: Fated - Alyson Noel

Title: Fated
Author: Alyson Noel
Pages: 447
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Macmillan's Children Books
ISBN: 978-1-4472-0680-4
Rating:4/5

**Synopsis taken from back of book**
"Strange things have been happening to Daire Santos. Animals follow her, crows mock her, glowing people appear out of nowhere. Worried that Daire's having a breakdown, her mother sends her to stay with the grandmother she's never met, who lives on the dusty plains of Enchantment, New Mexico. There Daire crosses paths with Dace, a gorgeous guy with unearthly blue eyes.

Her grandmother recognises Daire's episodes for what they are - a call to her true destiny as a Soul Seeker, a person who can navigate between the living and the dead. Guided by her grandmother, Daire must be quick to learn how to harness her powers, because Dace's brother is an evil shape-shifter, out to steal them. Daire must embrace her fate as a Soul Seeker and discover whether Dace is the guy she's meant to be with... or if he's allied with the enemy she's destined to destroy. "

Quite frankly, I loved this. Far more than Noel's other series which towards the end I found pretty monotonous. But Fated is great. I really love that Navajo beliefs played a big part in the entire novel. It made me want to go and research them (Sidenote: I want a spirit guide).

Then the characters. I loved all of them. Cade is wonderfully sleazy which as the villain is perfect, Dace, is just his antithesis. Radiating pure love. The description Noel uses to distinguish the two brothers is wonderful. She describes Cade's eyes as absorbing all light around him whilst Dace's only reflect it. With the whole saying of eyes being the windows to the Soul it was very fitting.

The plot was initially a little unclear however by the time we had arrived in Enchantment it picked up a lot more pace. I'm a very stubborn reader so I tend to finish books whether I liked them or not but I guarantee even if you find the opening few chapters tedious just persevere. I promise it is so very worth it! I'm now hankering after getting my hands on the following books but I already have a library to work my way through so, alas, that must wait.

Soul Seekers:

  • Fated
  • Echo
  • Mystic
  • Horizon



No comments:

Post a Comment

What have you been reading lately?