Monday 14 March 2016

Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth


Name: Divergent
Author: Veronica Roth
Pages: 487
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Harper Collins
ISBN: 978-0-00-742042-1
Rating: 5/5

The world has been divided into five factions; Abnegation, Amity, Candor,  Dauntless and Erudite. Sixteen year old Tris must choose which of these she fits best. Problem is she suits the majority, she's Divergent. A trait that is dangerous to have, it just might mean her life is in danger. Tris knows she can't trust anyone yet she still finds herself drawn to Four. Her trainer who can't decide whether to threaten or protect her.

Shock horror. This is the first time I've read the Divergent trilogy. For starters this is definitely my favourite book out of the three. I love how many diverse characters there were and seeing the turmoil the Choosing Ceremony creates. I love the idea of the factions. I can't remember any book I read that split society by values rather than by jobs or colours.

Tris is great in this novel. I loved how much her character developed. You could really see how much she had changed and all the qualities she possesses. Her interactions with her family and friends really demonstrated how different the factions are. Some of my favourite scenes were between Tris and Four. They had such great banter but worked so well together as a team.

The plot moved with great pace. I like how there was a lot of lighter moments considering how dark the novel could get. The Dauntless training was great to read about. It was so interesting to see how all the different factions deal with their initiates and police them.

Overall I loved this.

Have you read Divergent?

Katie x

No comments:

Post a Comment

What have you been reading lately?