Wednesday 14 October 2015

Review: Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas


Name: Queen of Shadows
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Pages: 645
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Bloomsbury
ISBN: 978-1-4088-5861-5
Rating: 5/5


This review will be in two portions. The first half a spoiler free review then the second quite simply is about a page of me fangirling about the wonderfulness of this novel.


Spoiler Free Review:

I've genuinely just finished reading this book and I needed to jump onto here in order to get all of my thoughts  down on paper, or rather screen before they became a jumbled mess.

Sarah J. Maas' writing simply gets better and better with each book, meaning I can't wait for the next instalment of the Throne of Glass series. She has a wonderful ability to create a magical realm that's easy to visualise and could possibly exist, or rather I wished it existed.

In Queen of Shadows new aspects of this world are revealed adding more depth to the story as a whole. The same can be said about the characters too. New layers are added to each persona making them easier to love and loathe when appropriate.

In this novel my favourite characters were by far Manon Blackbeak, Celaena, Rowan and Lysandra. In truth all of the characters in the Throne of Glass saga all brilliant in their own way. They work together as a unit to provide entertainment and great banter. Especially Celaena and Rowan. Though this instalment is very serious plot wise the light moments in which the characters are just having fun are a great balance to the overall tone.

Yet another fantastic book from Sarah J. Mass

5/5.


*SPOLIERS* *SPOILERS* *SPOILERS*





Okay so I'm thinking after reading this novel that my dream of Aelin and Manon working together may happen one day! Their fight scene was simply phenomenal but what I loved more was the fact that Aelin saved her enemy from what she called a 'shitty death for such a spectacular fighter.' It shows her compassionate side but also left open the opportunity for an Ironteeth alliance! #Maelin

Then theres Nesryn. She is just brilliant! I'm looking forward to see how her and Chaol's relationship develops because there is clearly something there between them.

Bringing me onto Chaol. I've had an issue with him since Nehemia-gate much like Aelin but I warmed to him again in the latter half of this though I still prefer Aelin with Rowan.

My heart. My poor beating heart. All of the feels this book caused was ridiculous. I sat reading with my parents and they were genuinely concerned at the amount of times I was gasping. Dorian was the main cause to begin with, then there was Arobynn putting the bloody ring on Aelin. I freaked out. I couldn't cope with it.

The biggest surprise came in the form of Lysandra. She is absolutely wonderful. Her friendship that formed with Aelin was beautiful. Then the surprise about her heritage as a Shifter? Such a good twist! It was nice to see Aelin have a female friend again.

I'm looking forward to the next instalment!

2 comments:

  1. Yay for Manon Blackbeak lovers! Her chapters were totally my favourite :) This book was just a bucket of feels that just drenched me completely. Great review!

    Sinead @ Less Reality More Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I think she's fantastic. Definitely a lot softer than she lets on too!

      Delete

What have you been reading lately?